Who Can Apply for a Scholarship

Only dependent unmarried children under age 23 of active military duty personnel, reserve/guard and retired military members, or survivors of service members who died while on active duty (also see Heroes' Legacy Scholarship) or survivors of individuals who died while receiving retired pay from the military, may apply for a scholarship. Dependent children of NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), Public Health Service, other federal or military related agencies or activities, or DoD civilian employees are not eligible unless they meet the above requirement. Applicants should ensure that they, as well as their sponsor, are currently enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) database (or call 1-800-538-9552) and that they have a current dependent military ID card. The DEERS database will be the primary method of verifying eligibility.

Applicants must be enrolled, or planning to enroll, in a full-time undergraduate degree program at an accredited U.S. college or university in the fall term of 2016. Applicants who have earned an undergraduate degree or who are enrolled in a graduate degree program are not eligible. High school applicants must have a minimum unweighted GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 basis) to be eligible to apply. College applicants must have a minimum unweighted GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 basis) to be eligible to apply.

Scholarship grants will also be awarded to students planning to attend a community or junior college, provided the program of studies is designed to allow the student to transfer directly into a four-year program. Applicants who receive an appointment to one of the U.S. Military Academies (or affiliated preparatory schools) or are awarded a full scholarship at any accredited U.S. post-secondary institution of higher education are not eligible to receive funds from this program. A full scholarship is usually defined as one that provides for payment of tuition, books, lab fees, and other related expenses.

Applicants, or their sponsors, need not live at an installation that has a commissary. Applicants may submit their application at any commissary, however it is recommended that they submit the application where their sponsors normally shop or closest to where their sponsors live. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure the commissary receives the application.

If it is not possible (due to distance considerations) for the applicants to submit their applications in person, they may also mail, UPS, or FedEx their completed applications to the commissary nearest to where their sponsor is stationed. Applicants who choose this method must contact that commissary and obtain the name of a person to whom the package will be directed. (A complete list of commissaries, along with phone numbers, can be found at www.commissaries.com).

Note: Do not request an application via mail. Either visit your nearest commissary for an application or download one from this website.